Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Artist Study: Joe McNally

It was interesting...
As I filtered through one of the albums on his blog,
I grew to like his work more and more.
The first three or four, I really disliked.
Then I was like "okay, that's kind've cool"
and the album searching went on.
I really love some of the images,
like the naked water polo players picture,
but i really dislike others.
The water polo players one is so natural but it has that little twist:
they're in the nude.
But some of the others like the woman on the chaise or the basketball player with angel wings seem not only very forced but somewhat unoriginal as well. My little brother has a poster of Michael Jordan spreading his arms exactly like that.

I feel the same about the "corporate" section.
Some of the advertisements really have me wanting to know what's going on in that picture or what the picture is advertising
while some are just painfully obvious and obnoxious.
*rant warning*
like the ones for the army/navy/air force... whatever.
They're all yelling the same thing at me and I hate it:
"ARMY STRONG"
"JOIN ARMY: we've got guns"
"YOU LOOK LIKE A BADASS IN CAMO"
obviously I'm a bit biased because of my distaste with the armed forces, but still...
I mean I've seen enough dudes in camouflage with semi-automatic rifles to last me a lifetime.

His style seems to vary quite a bit.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing however.
I want to say it is his evolving as a photographer,
but I doubt that he would put such early and different pictures on the web let alone in the same album as the offending juxtaposers...
Interesting, you say you know him, Mr. Slade?

[none of his images allowed themselves to be stolen and posted on my blog]

1 comment:

  1. I have had the pleasure of meeting Joe and speaking with him at length about various projects I have been doing. I like the honesty and your critique of him in your post.

    ReplyDelete